Thursday, October 7, 2010

Kitchen garden

It took me a visit to the local vegetable market to realize that the inflation is real and unbearable. So I decided that why not grow one's own vegetables in the backyard (if you have any) or in small gamlas. I live in a typical apartment like household in Mumbai with no backyard and no sufficient space in verandah, so have chosen to use gamlas. I have used a 1' X 3' space and filled it up with 4" of mud to ready the base for my palak and methi cultivation. I chose to grow both these because of its high nutritive value, speedy growth, and most importantly one can never find fresh palak in the market.

Then I took a gunny bag about 1.5' dia and filled it up with 9" of mud to grow red leafy bhaji or lal cheera as locally known. These don't require much of maintenance and can completely grow in about 3 weeks.

2 comments:

  1. This is a very good Idea! We have many benefits in this activity, firstly the food quality is in our hand secondly one can develop a very good hobbie out of it.

    People who are have a backyard or a balcony should try and Grow all sorts of Diffirent types of Plants and Vegetables

    ReplyDelete